MANILA, Philippines – Esteemed American trainer Freddie Roach assured that the leg injury suffered by boxer-congressman Manny Pacquiao is not that serious.
“It might still be hurting, but I’m sure it’s not that serious as some people think,” Roach told Eddie Alinea of PhilBoxing.com.
“It’s under control. There’s nothing to worry about,” the four-time Trainer of the Year stated.
Roach said that he gave Pacquiao 16 rounds with the mitts on Monday and “ended up as if nothing serious was going on.”
The 7-division-world champion suffered the “slight” leg injury 2 weeks ago before opening his training camp in Baguio City. He suffered the injury while jogging in Laguna.
Roach added that a doctor has prescribed massaging and applying ice on Pacquiao’s injured leg every morning.
The reigning World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion did not show signs of the injury when he began training in the City of Pines.
He even plays basketball after undergoing a rigorous boxing workout.
Roach added that he will still give his ward the benefit of the doubt by allowing him to continue to play basketball.
“I have been saying this time and again and I’m saying this again. We have a deal that he’ll stop playing basketball in the last month of our preparation and I expect him to respect that, as he had been doing the past several fights” he noted.
“He really loves and is happy playing basketball as he loves boxing. If he’s happy, he gives me everything I ask him so that’s been our arrangement. He can play the game as long as he wants to, but when I say stop, he’ll have to stop,” he added.
Pacquiao is preparing for his November 13 bout with Mexican Antonio Margarito at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
The vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight championship will be up for grabs for Pacquiao and Margarito.
Roach earlier admitted that Pacquiao still has a long way to go before he reaches his superb form. But he added that it’s normal for Pacquiao not to reach his peak this early. – With a report from Eddie Alinea, PhilBoxing.com
No comments:
Post a Comment