MANILA, Philippines – Mexico’s Antonio Margarito has downplayed the victory of boxing icon Manny Pacquiao over Joshua Clottey last March, saying that all the Ghanaian did was “cover up.”
“Joshua Clottey didn't throw punches,” the 3-time world champion said in Episode 2 of HBO’s documentary Pacquiao-Margarito 24/7. “He didn't throw anything.”
Margarito, who will collide with Pacquiao on November 13 (Nov. 14 in Manila), added that the boxing hero from the Philippines did nothing special in the Clottey fight.
He said the Ghanaian just stood right in front of the Filipino champion, who unleashed more than 1,000 punches during the fight.
“It's like a heavy bag in front of me. If it were in front of me, I'd do what I like, too,” said Margarito.
Clottey was criticized by boxing fans when he refused to exchange punches with the defending World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion and resorted to “turtle defense” in their March 2009 fight.
“In reality, Manny Pacquiao, he knows... Joshua Clottey was just covering up,” he added.
The Mexican, dubbed as the “Tijuana Tornado,” said he is a lot different from all the other boxers Pacquiao has faced.
“I'm not Oscar de la Hoya, not Joshua Clottey, not [Miguel] Cotto,” said Margarito. “Everyone knows, I throw punches, I go forward and I put on the pressure.”
Pacquiao, meanwhile, made his third appearance on ABC’s late-night show Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The show had the Filipino singing the John Lennon classic “Imagine” with American comedian Will Ferrel. (Click here for related story)
During the interview with the show’s host, Jimmy Kimmel, Pacquiao admitted Margarito has the upper hand over him in terms of size.
| Manny Pacquiao with Jimmy Kimmel in a YoutTube.com photo grab. |
The 5’6” Pacquiao will attempt to win the World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight title when he faces the 5’11” Margarito, who has the advantages in size and weight.
The Filipino champ, however, believes he has enough punching power to topple the taller Mexican.
“I'm ready and excited to fight. I feel strong,” said Pacquiao.
The Filipino added that his coach, Freddie Roach, will inspect Margarito's gloves before their fight to prevent another hand-wrap anomaly.
In January 2009, Margarito was caught wearing hand wraps with plaster-of-Paris-like substance before his bout against Shane Mosley.
"Freddie Roach will watch in the dressing room to check the bandage (hand wrapping)," said Pacquiao.
No comments:
Post a Comment