When New Jersey prospect Glen Tapia got the news from Top Rank's Las Vegas offices that he would be serving as a chief sparring partner to Manny Pacquiao for his fight with Antonio Margarito, he figured it would be an opportunity of a lifetime. Weeks later Tapia found himself on a flight to the Philippines to begin his preparation and he was instantly taken back by the scenery, culture and new lifestyle he was living overseas.
I communicated with Tapia while he was in camp and he claimed that it was the best experience of his life. From putting in serious work on a world class level, joking with his idol and simply riding the wave that comes with being a gifted prospect in the sport, Tapia’s exuberance was paired with a deep sense of appreciation the beguiled his twenty years of age. Tapia would return to the States late last month and returned to the ring professionally by winning a rough six round decision over journeyman Quinton Whitaker on October 30th at Bally’s. Despite improving his record to 8-0 with 5 stoppages, Tapia suffered a broken jaw in a fight that was tougher than expected.
“Yes I got my jaw broken in the third round but I still kept fighting to win the six round decision. Its hasn't been that much trouble but with my mouth wired shut I'm on a liquid diet so I'm always hungry,” a laughing Tapia said.
On Wednesday Tapia made his way to Dallas for the Pacquiao-Margarito event this weekend at nearby Cowboys Stadium. But instead of being your typical bystander, Tapia now has a slight sense of fame through his involvement with the world’s premier fighter. He’s making the rounds in Dallas and simply soaking everything in.
”It's a great atmosphere. I've been meeting a lot of good people, going out to Dallas and sightseeing and hanging out with Manny.”
When fighters train together there is a certain sense of comradarie that develops amongst them. Upon seeing Pacquiao, Tapia was greeted warmly and also reminded of a certain propostion that they had while honing their skills together in Baguio City.
”Well he gave me a big hug and asked me about my jaw,” Tapia continued. “I told him what happened and that I won; he gave me another hug then he reminded me about a bonus he was going to give me if I won my fight. I thought he was playing when we was in the Philippines but he sure wasn't."
Newflash: Manny Pacquiao wants to fight in Las Vegas again
Asked for his take on his friend’s fight with Margarito tomorrow night, Tapia doesn’t seem to see the danger that many do, pointing towards a sixth round knockout in favor of Pacquiao. Tapia’s reasons are simple, as he feels that the clash of styles favors Manny as well as tipping him with the obvious edge in skills.
Newflash: Manny Pacquiao wants to fight in Las Vegas again
Asked for his take on his friend’s fight with Margarito tomorrow night, Tapia doesn’t seem to see the danger that many do, pointing towards a sixth round knockout in favor of Pacquiao. Tapia’s reasons are simple, as he feels that the clash of styles favors Manny as well as tipping him with the obvious edge in skills.
”I think Margarito is a slow starter and it takes him like six to seven rounds to get going. I think Pacquiao is going to overwhelm him before he even gets going.”
As for Tapia, he recently inked a four-year deal with Top Rank and should be making some nice moves in 2011. His first eight fights as a pro saw him fighting primarily in New Jersey but don't be surprised to see him on the undercard of some huge events in Las Vegas and Madison Square Garden in New York in the near future. His time with Pacquiao was one of those rare opportunities in the sport that impacted his life on many fronts and this weekend he has the luxury of not having to put in any hard work while simply enjoying the show.
The Pacquiao-Margarito clash is one of this year’s biggest fights but it’s hard to forget the tremendous success Pacquiao has had in Las Vegas over the past few years. For images of Pacquiao’s run of success in Nevada please clickHERE
Chris Robinson is based out of Las Vegas, Nevada. He can be reached at Trimond@aol.com
No comments:
Post a Comment