dSource Interviews Vanes Martirosyan: 'I'll drop Manny; Lara not in my league'

from: By Dennis "D Source" Guillermo / examiner.com

Vanes Martirosyan
Photo: Top Rank / Chris Farina
I caught up with undefeated junior middleweight contender Vanes 'Nightmare' Martirosyan yesterday to talk about his career and some of his recent comments that have been subject of boxing forum chatter. The Freddie Roach pupil had recently called out Shane Mosley and made comments that his son was an inferior fighter and had praclaimed that he would be the first to drop Manny Pacquiao in sparring and collect Roach's
$1,000 incentive. The Armenian-born pugilist who now resides in Gelndale, California also spoke on his desire to fight WBO world junior middleweight title holder Sergiy Dzinzurik and dismissed another up-and-comer Erislandy Lara who had recently challenged him to a fight and called him an 'internet tough guy'.
Check out my interview transciprt with Martirosyan below and listen in to the audio by clicking this link:
dSource -How's training?
Vanes Martirosyan - I haven't been really doing much training right now, I'm just waiting when my fight is. I've been running and doing a little bit here and ther. It's good to see Freddie back and work with Freddie.
dSource - Have they given any names for your possible December 4 fight?
Vanes Martirosyan - Not really. I'm not sure if I'm really fighting on that date. I didn't have much time with Freddie. I want more time with Freddie. I don't know if I'm going to be fighting that day.
(Martirosyan is listed to fight on Dec. 4 by Boxrec.com against an opponent to be announced, but looks likely to pull out of the said card and will reportedly be replaced by Mikey Garcia)
dSource - Reports are coming out right now that you are gunning the WBO champ Sergiy Dzinzurik. What can you say about that?
Vanes Martirosyan - It's an honor for me to be able to fight for the WBO title; I've always wanted it. I hope that Sergiy takes the fight and we'll make it happen. I hope he's man enough to do it.
dSource - I also read that you worked him during a previous sparring session. Tell me about that.
Vanes Martirosyan - He came to the gym and wanted sparring to help him train for Daniel Dawson. I helped him get ready for that fight. I did really well. I beat him up pretty bad. We only fought once and it only lasted three rounds. They stopped it after three rounds- he was bleeding. 
*At this point Vanes excused himself to take a phone call from Armenia.*
Vanes Martirosyan - I'm getting calls from Armenia asking me if I'm fighting on December 4th (laughing)
dSource - So are you not fighting on December 4th?
Vanes Martirosyan - As of now I don't know anything for sure. I would like to fight later later on in December. The 4th to me is too soon I think. I need more time to work with Freddie as he's been busy with Manny right now.
dSource - Speaking of Manny, you made headlines saying that you would be the first person to knock him down during sparring. Has that happened yet?
Vanes Martirosyan - We haven't sparred yet for that to happen, but I'm pretty sure if we spar that it's going to happen. But as of right now it hasn't happened.
dSource - Have you sparred with Manny before?
Vanes Martirosyan - No we haven't, that's why I was excited to do it because it would be the first time. I always watched him train, never got to spar and it would've been nice to get to.
dSource - That's interesting. What made you think that you can knock him down since it's never happened yet?
Vanes Martirosyan - Because I love southpaws. Every southpaw I've faced, I've dropped and it's just one of those things. I know it's going to be a good experience. I know his spots, I know what he brings to the table....

No comments:

Post a Comment