Khan: Pacquiao to stop Margarito in Round 8 or 9

from: abs-cbnnews.com
British fighter Amir Khan talks to the media at the 
Ninoy Aquino International Airport, October 7, 2010.
MANILA, Philippines – British boxing star Amir Khan is certain that 7-division world champion Manny Pacquiao will claim his record 8th world title by overcoming Mexican Antonio Margarito on November 13.

“I’m totally behind Manny Pacquiao. I think Manny is the best fighter in the world,” Khan told the media upon his arrival at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) on Thursday morning.

“Whoever you put in front of Manny Pacquiao, I think Manny will beat easily. He’s got the skill, he’s got the speed, he’s got the footwork. This fight I think Manny will stop him maybe in Round 8 or Round 9,” he declared.

Even if he was reminded by sports journalist Ronnie Nathanielsz that Margarito is much bigger than Pacquiao, Khan insisted that the Filipino boxing icon will prevail.

“Manny is tougher. Manny is big and strong as well,” he insisted. “It’s like Manny is a nice guy outside the ring but when he gets in the ring, he’s an animal.”

Khan, the World Boxing Association (WBA) light welterweight king, arrived in Manila at 6:30 a.m. He is expected to proceed to Baguio City to join Pacquiao’s training camp.

“Manny’s always inviting me to the Philippines and it’s nice for me to come here to meet Manny, meet his people and meet the Filipinos as well,” he said. 
 
“I spoke to Freddie Roach and he did say me and Manny will be doing a little bit of sparring. We fight similar times. I fight 4 weeks after Manny. But it’s good to be here you know, just to share the ring with Manny Pacquiao and be working with Freddie Roach and Alex Ariza,” added Khan.

The 23-year-old Briton also has Roach as trainer and Ariza as conditioning coach.
“I’m gonna be building my conditioning early in the camp ‘cause my fight’s December 11,” he noted.

Pacquiao will fight Margarito for the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight belt at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas while Khan will face Argentine Marcos Maidana at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“That’s a big step for me. I’m gonna defend my WBA world title and hopefully go from there and unify the division and then maybe go up in weight and fight the best in the world,” he stated.

Khan was also confident that will be able to successfully defend his title even if Maidana is a “very tough” fighter. 

“He seemed okay but I think I’ve got the skills to beat him. You know, hit, move, angles, speed. Freddie Roach is the best cornerman and the best trainer in the world so I think he’s gonna help me and give me a game plan to follow and hopefully take it from there.” 

He then assured that his bout with Maidana will be “explosive.”









No comments:

Post a Comment