Alex Nino, Francisco Coching, Whilce Portacio, Leinil Yu, Philip Tan—the list goes on with so many talented Filipino comic book artists. Have you ever wondered if there was a Pinoy writer in mainstream comics? We tend to be visual as comic book readers that we forget about writers at times. Yes we have writer/artists like Gerry Alanguilan, Manix Abrera, and Carlo Vergara, but who is that pure writer?
I’m talking about the Eisner-nominated guy who co-created Oni’s “Allison Dare”, the man behind “Lola: A Ghost Story” and the popular DC title for kids, “Teen Titans Go!” Comic book fans, THE J. Torres!
For those asking, J is a Filipino Comic Book Writer raised and currently living in Canada together with his wife and
son. He graduated from McGill University with a degree in BA Communications Studies and a diploma in Elementary Education. Most of his work is written for kids. J, however, does have several mature titles in his portfolio like “Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight,” “Blue Beetle,” and “Wonder Woman” just to name a few. But other than comics, J has also worked on animation like “Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi” and “League of Super Evil”.Despite his busy schedule abroad, J found time to answer questions for his Filipino fans.
Yahoo!: Can you tell us something about growing up as a Pinoy? When did you move to Toronto?
J Torres: My family immigrated to Canada when I was four years old. I actually grew up in Montreal and went to school there all the way through to university. I moved to Toronto about ten years ago. Both cities have large Filipino populations. There are community groups, annual cultural events, and so on. Most importantly, not only can you get some Filipino products from Asian markets in the area but the bigger grocery store chains have Asian food aisles that offer items like banana ketchup. Of course there are Filipino stores including ones that have bakeries and turo turo style take-out. And bidjo for rent! So, I grew up with a lot of the necessities to stay in touch with one’s culture. Thank you, Canada.
Y!: A lot of Pinoys in the Comic Book Industry are mostly in drawing, what made you decide to go into writing?
JT: I can’t draw! I used to think I could. I was that kid in grade school that all the teachers turned to for artwork. I even won a couple of contests. Then I went to high school and realized there were much more talented kids out there. I also liked writing and was “better” at that so here we are today.
Y!: Who were your influences?
JT: It’s a long list including children’s book authors, animators, TV shows, film directors, playwrights, screenwriters, song writers, and of course comic book creators. Basically, any kind of entertainment or media that’s resonated and stuck with me over the years. You know what I mean?
Y!: Do you remember your first comic book? What do you read currently? Any recommendations?
JT: I think it was the Avengers issue of the tabloid size Marvel Treasury series. That came out in 1975, and I remember my dad bringing it to me when I was sick in bed. I may or may not have read comic books earlier than that, but this really sticks out because it was an oversize comic with tons of superheroes in it and it was a get well gift. It’s interesting because I’m sort of rekindling my love of the Avengers lately by picking up I Am an Avenger and the Heroic Age Avengers books. I’m also checking out some of the Marvel Adventures collections. Plus, I’m really looking forward to the new Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes animated series.
Y!: “Lola” was an excellent book! I was very close to my Lola when she was still alive. Were you close to your Lola? Did she read comics also?
JT: Sadly, I was never really that close to my grandparents because they lived so far away. However, I was probably closest to my dad’s mother, Lola Gloria to whom the book is dedicated because some of the plot elements in it were inspired by stories about her childhood as related to me by a couple of my titas. I visited her about a year ago but since Lola wasn’t out yet, I didn’t bring her a copy. I’d like to personally present it to her next time I visit. She’s not a comic reader, it’s kind of a scary book, and it opens with the grandmother dead so…I’m not sure how she’ll react!
Y!: Any similarities in your life in Lola’s setting? Do you have a third eye?
JT: No third eye, but I think I have a second stomach. I eat a lot.
Y!: What’s your favorite Filipino Mythological Creature?
JT: The capre! It’s such a weird and nonsensical creature with the Pan-like look and the cigar and hiding up in trees. The whole thing is rather absurd but it’s such a great visual. Like something out a Lewis Carroll book or a Hellboy comic, you know? It’s a funny mishmash of elements warning kids of evil: the demonic figure, lurking in trees at night, and (gasp!) it smokes too! Stay away from the capre, kids, if he doesn’t eat you, the second hand smoke will kill you.
Y!: Any advice for the aspiring people wanting to get into the Comic Book Industry?
JT: Make comics. Publish them yourself somehow. Mini comic format. Web comic. It doesn’t matter. Show it to as many people as you can. Editor, publishers, other comic creators. Even if you want a shot at Batman or Spider-Man, you need to have the goods. Show what you can do. “If you build it, they will come.”
Y!: Any plans of visiting the Philippines and doing a signing?
JT: I was there about a year ago and did a signing at Comic Odyssey in Robinsons Galleria. It was a good time. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, but next time I need to give myself a few days to get over the jet lag so I can be more sociable. I’m thinking we might be back in that part of the world year after next.
Y!: Any final thoughts?
JT: Please visit my blog at www.jtorresonline.com. I also have a Facebook “fan page” under J. Torres. Plus, you can follow @jtorrescomics
If you want to track what J will be up to, check out on November the last issue of “Batman: The Brave and the Bold” which he wrote. Don’t forget the trades of that title too! After that, he has not one, not two, but five. Yep, FIVE titles from Oni! The “Yo Gabba Gabba” related “Good Night, Gabbaland” with Matt Loux, “Gabba Ball” with Chris Eliopoulous and the anthology “Yo Gabba Gabba: It’s Comic Book Time!”. The other two Oni titles are due next year and they’re “Dead Goombas” (A Zombie Story) with Tom Williams and “Power Lunch” with Dean Trippe. (A kid gets super powers from the things he eats) Excited much? Well, I am! I think it’s awesome we have a mainstream comic book writer we can be all proud of! When J Torres comes back, I’ll be sure to let you know!
KA-POW!
No comments:
Post a Comment