from: By Mark Vester / boxingscene.com
WBC silver middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. says a possible fight with Manny Pacquiao, in 2011, was the reason he ruled out a trip to the Philippines to spar with the Filipino fighter. Both Pacquiao and Chavez are trained by Freddie Roach and promoted by Top Rank. Chavez, according to reporter Ricardo Lois, made the statement to Mexican news outlet Notimex.
“I'm getting ready for my fight against Alfonso Gomez on December 4 in Anaheim, California. I was supposed to go to the Philippines and do sparring with Pacquiao, which is something very important for me, but at the same time, it has been said that Manny could be my opponent next year, and I think in helping him with sparring would be complicated,” said Chavez Jr.
Chavez, provided he beats Gomez, is likely to face WBA 154-pound champion Miguel Cotto in March. If, and it's a big if, Chavez beats Cotto, he could very well find himself in line for a Pacquiao fight at the end of the year. Pacquiao still has to contend with Antonio Margarito on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
No comments:
Post a Comment